The Lewisville Texan Journal, a weekly newspaper and online news website serving Lewisville and Southern Denton County, seeks a journalist to join our team part-time or full-time. We are looking for an intrepid self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit, who can help us tell the stories of our community. From hard news to features, beat coverage to enterprise stories, you will have the opportunity to write for an appreciative and intelligent audience.
Our ideal candidate meets most of these criteria:
- Has or is working towards a bachelor’s degree or higher in journalism or English, or has equivalent work experience
- Has their own transportation and a phone
- Lives in Denton County
- Is intrepid, honest, and hardworking
- Has some photography experience
- Has editing experience and/or prior newspaper experience
- Is proficient and comfortable with the web and social media
- Competent in AP style
These criteria are not required, but could be very helpful:
- Print layout experience
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
- Digital photo editing and correction
- HTML / PHP / WordPress / Google Docs / LucidPress
- Lives in Lewisville or Castle Hills
- Owns a good camera
Pay is negotiable, and schedule is flexible. We provide meals on deadline nights. Work from home, or work in our office. Bring your own technology or use ours.
We are a literal mom-and-pop company with high aspirations, and a desire to be the best hometown newspaper that we can be. We believe the citizens of Lewisville deserve a good and reliable source of local news written from a local perspective.
At The Lewisville Texan Journal, you could make a difference.
We want to hear from you. Email your resume to editor@LewisvilleTexan.com, and include samples of your writing for consideration.
The Lewisville Texan Journal is not able to pay for relocation expenses.