City Council Candidate Questionnaire: Carolyn Wright

Carolyn Wright (Photo by Steve Southwell)

The Lewisville Texan Journal sent a list of questions to Lewisville City Council candidates to familiarize voters with each potential member. Each candidate had almost two weeks to return their answers. Answers from candidates who participated are published as received, unedited.

Early voting for the May election begins April 24 and continues until May 2. Election day is May 6. In addition to the city council, voters will decide on a Lewisville ISD bond proposition and the LISD Board of Trustees

Here are the responses sent to us from Carolyn Wright, who is running for Place 1.

Have you ever run for or served in an elected office before? If so, please list campaigns and offices held.
No

Have you been convicted of any crimes other than traffic tickets, lost any civil lawsuits or declared bankruptcy in the past 10 years?
No

How much of your time on average per week are you committed to giving voters for this position?
I will allocate time on an as needed basis.

In the past year, how many public meetings or workshops for the City of Lewisville have you attended?
In the past year I have attended over half a dozen public meeting and viewed all the past year’s uploaded Council’s YouTubes of public meetings and workshops.

What Lewisville organizations, boards, committees or other volunteer positions have you served and which are you currently serving?
Present-2017 President Lewisville Morning Rotary Club Present-2017 District 5790 Visioning Facilitator Present-2017 Lewisville Chamber Commerce – Member 2015-2016 President Elect Lewisville Morning Rotary Club Paul Harris Fellow – Rotary International Present Volunteerism – Christian Community Action, Salvation Army, Lewisville Waste Management, and Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s North Texas.

What do you want to do as a council member that you could not do as a resident?
As an elected council member I will have a greater role and more responsibilities in policymaking, legislating, and serving as an ambassador for our city. I will help lead Lewisville to become the Mecca of North Texas (that place that many people will visit or hope to visit).

What one thing would you tell voters sets you most clearly apart from your opponents?
I am a global visionary, I’ve resided in Lewisville longer than any of my opponents, I have invested in the city, schools, and local businesses. I offer common sense, dedication, and hard work in the absolute best interest of our city. I am the right candidate to help take Lewisville beyond it 2025 vision. #WrightTheRightChoice.

What is the most pressing issue facing Lewisville, and what do you think the city council should do about it?
Within Lewisville there is no single challenge, we face various difficult and distinct issues that are important to a wide variety of residents.

Are there any issues that you feel are important, but that the city council is not addressing?
One of my greater concerns is the approach our leaders takes regarding various issues pertaining to the residents and city at large. Capitalization by Utilization! We must change our approach, we must capitalize by utilizing one of our largest assets “Human Capital” and by doing so we can and will create change. To create positive impact we must be aware of what is really needed in Lewisville. In order to know what’s needed, we must map-out what’s already available. We must listen and recognize our existing assets. We can change our communities through community engagement, the relationships we build, and by having the necessary conversations that will allow us a better understanding and to become better partners. We must focuses on the strengths of Lewisville instead of allowing lack and need to dominate the conversation. When we are aware of what is available, we can begin to collaborate, create strategies, and think differently about the way we approach our community. Einstein really define insanity as “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”. Let’s get it Right!

How do you plan to interface with the public and receive input if you are elected?
I will make myself available to our residents. Each resident will have access to contacting me via phone, website, and or through protocols of the city. I will make myself available and respond to every call and email.

Do you think the city is doing enough to be transparent and accountable to the public? What would you change, if anything?
There’s certainly room for improvement. I will ensure ways residents could identify their tax dollar investment by publishing a detailed allocation of taxes by city department. We must elect leaders who will support a public decision making process, not beholden to others. I will continue to encourage residents’ participation through various programs offered by the city; Lewisville Leadership, . ‘Coffee with Cops’, MARTY mobile city hall, Citizen’s Police Academy and our Neighborhood Resource Officers.

What do you think of current residential and commercial zoning and land development policies? Are there any policies you would change? If so, why?
I support the specific plan zoning in our 35 highway corridor and I support responsible development. I have a forward-thinking vision to help protect what’s left of the remaining open space and undeveloped land in Lewisville. I am willing and able to stand up to and push back on development that isn’t right for the community. I want to create an environment that focuses not on quantity but on quality developments.

Do you support term limits for city council? If so, would you pledge to voluntarily abide by whatever you are proposing?
Yes, I believe the right thing for Lewisville is to have term limits and yes I will abide by a proposal.

Should the city be involved in encouraging desirable businesses and employers to locate here to increase our tax base? If so, do you think the city is doing it right? What would you change or emphasize?
 I would like to see more attention given to the small business owners. The small businesses are truly the heartbeat of Lewisville. I supports keeping taxes low, driving economic development and using incentives to help retail and residential areas.

Do you think the city is doing a good job with regards to its budget and taxation? What if anything would you change about the process, tax rates, or allocation of money to different departments and functions?
I believe accountability should be an essential part of the city evaluation and citizens should play a role in performance evaluation. This will allows citizens and taxpayers to hold members of the council accountable for their actions. The council chronic budget shortfalls requires that we look and plan differently. The administration should negotiate sound and reasonable contracts made in the best interest of our residents and citizens.

What is your position on regulation of plastic bag use within the city?
I prefer the non-use of plastic bags.

What is your position on banning vaping and smoking in public areas, such as parks and trails?
As a councilwoman it will be my fiduciary to do what’s right, to uphold all city ordinance(s), codes, state and federal laws. Public safety will always be at the forefront of my decision making. For more info: www.awow.us or Facebook: votecarolynwrightplace1

2 COMMENTS

• Robert thank you for your reply.

Despite the recent popularity of e-cigarettes, to date only limited data is available on their safety for both users and secondhand smokers. There are numerous conflicting studies which reports comprehensive inner and outer exposure assessment of e-cigarette. Some data indicates vaping is non-harmful while, others indicates vaping is harmful.

Before I exert my opinion I must do the due diligence and become better informed. I believe that all council members before implementing bans or ordinances should be well informed on the issues. And, as stated Public Safety will always be at the forefront of my decision making.

Thank you for taking time to reply and engage.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here