City Council Candidate Questionnaire: Jon Dahlvig

Jon Dahlvig (Photo by Steve Southwell)

The Lewisville Texan Journal sent a list of questions to Lewisville City Council candidates to familiarize voters with each potential member. Each candidate had almost two weeks to return their answers. Answers from candidates who participated are published as received, unedited.

Early voting for the May election begins April 24 and continues until May 2. Election day is May 6. In addition to the city council, voters will decide on a Lewisville ISD bond proposition and the LISD Board of Trustees

Here are the responses sent to us from Jon Dahlvig, who is running for Place 1.

Have you ever run for or served in an elected office before? If so, please list campaigns and offices held.
First campaign.

Have you been convicted of any crimes other than traffic tickets, lost any civil lawsuits or declared bankruptcy in the past 10 years?
I have not.

How much of your time on average per week are you committed to giving voters for this position?
I will be free 2 out of every 3 days to be committed to our community. I can also take vacation from work if more time is needed. My normal work schedule is a total of 10 days a month.

In the past year, how many public meetings or workshops for the City of Lewisville have you attended?
Three but have viewed them all online through the city website including the planning and zoning meetings.

What Lewisville organizations, boards, committees or other volunteer positions have you served and which are you currently serving?
Currently not serving in any capacity with the city of Lewisville. From 2009-2016 I was a reserve for our Fire Department.

What do you want to do as a council member that you could not do as a resident?
Influence and be a more direct part of the decision making process that guides our community.

What one thing would you tell voters sets you most clearly apart from your opponents?
Bringing in a fresh, young, conservative perspective to the council.

What is the most pressing issue facing Lewisville, and what do you think the city council should do about it?
Crime. I believe our police department, under the amazing leadership of Chief Kerbow, is doing an outstanding job in addressing this issue. It’s something that takes time and will unfortunately always be a problem, it’s just a matter of reducing as much crime as possible.

Are there any issues that you feel are important, but that the city council is not addressing?
Rising taxes, even though the rate remains the same. With the property values rising and the city keeping the same rate, they are still raising taxes but claim to not raise the rate.

How do you plan to interface with the public and receive input if you are elected?
Even as a candidate, I have put my e-mail, cell phone number and social media contacts out there and have discussed issues with residents. I would like to have weekly social meetings, similar to our PD’s coffee with cop’s program, where citizens can come and interact with their representatives.

Do you think the city is doing enough to be transparent and accountable to the public? What would you change, if anything?
I think our city staff and council are doing a good job at being transparent. With being accountable, for the most part, absolutely. I have some concerns with the recent storms and warning programs but they are assessing and making changes. Regardless of how well we do in both transparency and accountability, there is always room for improvement.

What do you think of current residential and commercial zoning and land development policies? Are there any policies you would change? If so, why?
I believe our city staff and past/current council have put several good plans into place for improving the economic development of our city. We just need to be sure we are continually assessing and making improvements to these plans as the communities needs and desires change.

Do you support term limits for city council? If so, would you pledge to voluntarily abide by whatever you are proposing?
I do support term limits. What I propose is a two-term limit with a mandatory one-term break before seeking election again for council position. I of course would hold myself to this standard even if it wasn’t officially in place. I would also like to see district representation rather than council member at large representation.

Should the city be involved in encouraging desirable businesses and employers to locate here to increase our tax base? If so, do you think the city is doing it right? What would you change or emphasize?
I think we as a community need to push for desirable businesses and employers to locate here. I believe our city staff are working hard to make this happen. I also do believe that once the freeway phases are complete we will see improved economic growth.

Do you think the city is doing a good job with regards to its budget and taxation? What if anything would you change about the process, tax rates, or allocation of money to different departments and functions?
The city is doing a good job of staying within its budget. When it comes to property taxes, we need to see lower rates and ultimately the elimination of city property tax. It is a complicated process and would take time to replace that revenue without raising other taxes.

What is your position on regulation of plastic bag use within the city?
I understand why some cities want to regulate plastic bags in the city for trash reasons, but I don’t think that the city should regulate this. We as citizens should care about our city and see that we are reusing and recycling the bags rather than discarding them in the trash or outdoors.

What is your position on banning vaping and smoking in public areas, such as parks and trails?
Smoking should be banned in public places such as parks and trails.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here