Thursday’s game between Lewisville High School (1-1) and McKinney Boyd High School (0-2) came down to the wire. The Farmers had a chance to tie the game in the final seconds but ultimately were defeated by the Broncos 10-8.

What on paper looked like an easy win for the Farmers turned into a defensive battle, full of sloppy play from both offenses. Neither offense was able to gain any momentum throughout the night, resulting in a low-scoring game.

The first drive for both offenses set the tone for how the game would play out. On back-to-back possessions, Farmers running back Demodrick Hunter and Broncos quarterback Collin Drake lost fumbles.

The Farmers defense held freshman Broncos quarterback Collin Drake to 158 yards and a touchdown, while completing 10 of 19 pass attempts. pictured left to right Benjamin Lewis and Amazea Nweamo (Picture by Anthony Bellum)

Drake, a freshman, was starting in his first career game for the Broncos, after original starter Christian Ziegler broke his thumb during last week’s game. The injury to Ziegler, along with the Broncos 0-2 record, were key factors in the game looking like an easy victory for the Farmers. The Farmers defeated the Broncos 51-14 last season

Later in the first, the Broncos drove over 80 yards and had a first and goal before Lewisville’s Kadren Johnson recovered running back Ja Tyler Shaw’s fumble at the one-yard line. Shaw finished the game with 34 carries for 140 yards.

Following a Boyd turnover on downs, Lewisville, aided by 46 yards of penalties against the Broncos, had first and goal at the seven-yard line. Lewisville gave Hunter the ball on three straight carries bringing up a fourth and goal at the Broncos two. The Farmers decided to go for it, instead of attempting a go-ahead field goal, and gave the ball to Hunter again. Hunter was unable to get into the end zone, resulting in a turnover on downs.

“Of course when you don’t get it you do [second guess],” Odle said of the fourth down attempt. “And the wind was in their face and we thought we had the right play call.”

With 2:25 remaining in the half, the Broncos took possession and began to move the ball. Drake completed a pair of throws for first downs and had Boyd across midfield. A sack by Farmers defensive lineman Parker Webster with less than a minute to go pushed the Broncos back and the threat of a Boyd score seemed unlikely.

On the next play Drake found Shaw on a screen pass, and Shaw ran untouched 47 yards to score with just 10 seconds remaining in the half, giving the Broncos a 7-0 halftime lead.

Early in the second-half, the Broncos were backed up at their own ten-yard line. A high snap sailed over Drake’s head and landed in the end zone. Shaw recovered the ball and attempted to throw it away but was called for intentional grounding. The play resulted in two points for the Farmers bringing the score to 7-2 Boyd.

On their first drive of the fourth quarter, Boyd added a 34-yard field goal from Blake Post to increase the lead to 10-2. With 7:40 remaining, The Broncos still only led by one score.

The Farmers were unable to move the ball consistently, until opening up the passing game in the fourth quarter. Pictured wide receiver Isaiah Bennet. (Photo by Anthony Bellum)

The Farmers offense finally started to click after the post field goal. The Farmers began moving away from the run and started to throw the ball more.

“We got some momentum, we finally got it going,” Farmers receiver Brandon Rolfe said. “We just have to build on it.”

The game looked over following a turnover on downs by the Farmers with 4:25 remaining, but questionable play calling by the Broncos, including an ill-advised pass attempt, gave the Farmers the ball back with less than three minutes remaining.

Lewisville, led by wide receiver Woody Banks, moved the ball to the 16-yard line but was running out of time. Banks recorded five of his team, leading 13 catches during the final drive. Banks finished the game with 105 yards.

With just ten seconds remaining Farmers quarterback Tyler Urban threw the ball to a well-covered Rolfe across the middle. Rolfe made a tough contested catch, shook off an arm tackle at the five and ran into the end zone to bring the Farmers to within a successful two-point conversion from tying the game. Urban completed 24 of 41 pass attempts for 211 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

Confusion and communications problems doomed the Farmers hopes of tying the game on the two-point attempt. The ball was snapped past Urban’s head, who was still trying to communicate with the sideline. Boyd recovered the ball, and after a failed onside kick attempt by the Farmers, took a knee to end the game.

Despite the struggles of the offense for most of the game, the defense played well and came up with key turnovers and stops throughout the game.

“We all swarm to the ball,” Webster said of the defense’s performance. “We fly to ball. We get to the ball. It’s what we do.”

The defense continued its trend so far this season of limiting big plays and forcing turnovers. For the third straight game the Farmers’ defense came up with at least two turnovers.

The Farmers offense will have two weeks to figure out a strategy to move the ball more effectively, before opening district play Friday, Sept. 29 at 7:30 p.m. against Euless Trinity at Max Goldsmith Stadium.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here